Thursday, April 14, 2005

'the year of the yao'

my first basket ball match!!! well for all who wonder who yao is !! thats a 7.6 foot tall chinese..yep ..a dodo among the mogolian race and an all star of Houston's basket ball team Rockets.
My hubby is a big fan of basketball. let me rephrase he is a big fan of anything close to sports. :) i could have mostly probaly written the screen play for the movie 'fever pitch'. Let me give some background about myself. I come from a family of 4 girls, none who have the remote interest in watching sports and lets not talk about taking part in it.
My younger sisters shows promising signs though of becoming a short- put star and a throw ball junkie. So you see nothing prepared me for the sports mania in america.
In-house in India we have only one craze and thats cricket and in an over populated country getting tickets for wankhede stadium matches was a once in a life opportunity( what are your chances of winning a lottery ticket!! )
So when i went yesterday for my first match it felt very much like going to a movie theatre. At least on the outside. My hubby came in early and i... like the perfect wife :D was all ready and set to go. I have passed Toyota center a couple of times on my way to downtown. Huge space and very much like all other downtown buildings: cement and glass.
We managed to reach early so we were proud recipients of Tracy Mcgrady ducks ..yes bathtub ducks :)) and a yao poster. Being an indian u never complain when u get stuff free You such feel so proud of yourself !!
I was hungry and knew the tradition of eating a hot dog while watching basket ball. All those hollywood movies leave such impressions :) So we got our hot dog and went in search of our seats. Now the whole building is circular with food stalls in the outercircle and the stadium in the middle. So until we reached the 4th floor and walked into the stadium i had no idea how it was.
The feeling is indescrible standing at such height with the basket ball court in the center surrounded by almost 1800 ppl and with loud rock music blasting though the large speakers.
Your heart beat races and u can feel the energy in the crowd pulse through you.
I had no idea it would be like this. This can happen only in an indoor stadium..the energy generated does not dissipate easily and it results in such tangible force.
I took a moment or to recover and then accompanied my husband to our seats. And for the next two hours it was a drama unfold.
Rockets were playing against grizzles (memphis). I am not into sport technical terms. I can only relate it 2 what i know the best and thats theatre.
24 secs .thats the time given for shooting the ball. In real life it is so small but down there on the court each second counts. Initailly i tght the music wld stop when the game started but the music played along with the game. When the opponent team got the ball it would go defense defense!! and backgrnd music from the movie 'JAWS' .
When rockets got the ball and were about to shoot it would go to rock music.
And on every Rockets basket .wow!! the whole place would lit up...
this is better than a rock concert! During the intervals where you have cheerleaders dance to great songs and since it was kids night(the theme) there were lots of kiddie games.

The game got really interesting in the 4th quater (the last) where grizzles were not way behind. In the last two minutes i had my hand on my heart for i didn't think i wld bear it if rockets lost. but did they make it or what ! .They were sharp and quick. In the last 18 secs we knew rockets were winning the game as they were 8 points ahead. In such a situtation the team usually doesn't shoot (to show respect for the opposing team) but guess what happened in the last .2 sec rockets was fouled by memphis and Tracy Mc grady had take 2 free throws!! Now whats the best part here.Rockets were standing at a score of 98. McDonalds had an offer going ' a free mac buger for everyone if rockets scored 100 ' !!! Ah!!! so guess what happened. Tracy mc grady gave me my free Mac buger.

Yao came out the best with the max shoots. It so good 2 see him play. He is called the gentle giant and has a 88% shoot rate on average. Tracy is the best though !! dependable and reliable to take the team up. But my fav is bob sura. His job is to get the ball fast and quick and pass it quick. Its the intensity of that which i like. Dive through the maze and find a opening.
I shall start collecting bob sura paraphernalia soon, much to the charin of my husband ;)
I hope you guys r not bored now rather you have enjoyed the show along with me.

adieu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home